Saturday, August 23, 2008

At peace with 12 hours to go

Just watched the Men's Olympic Marathon final. What they do in their marathons is something I'm not familiar with when I run mine--wow!

So the sun is setting here on a beautiful evening just 12 hours to game time. It's still quite warm here--about 81 degrees. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow. Now calling for a high of 77 degrees with perhaps some rain to deal with between Richter and Yellow Lake and especially the long decent after Yellow Lake. I'll just have to dial it back a bit if that happens--I've certainly had some practice in this at Austria this year. The good news is that it looks like mid 70s and rain during the run which I'm very OK with.

Beginning to get that pre-race calmness as there isn't much else to do now except getting up, eating and a few last minute set-up activities on the bike. Get the race gear on and go when I hear the cannon. After that the NOW becomes overwhelming and it's just focus on the stoke, pedal or step at hand until they tell you to stop.

I'm in a good place mentally. I pray for a safe race and no mechanical failures on the bike. Beyond that, I'll focus on myself and swim, ride and run within myself and as fast as my body tells me I can go on august 24th, 2008. I'll be aware of my competitors but since I can't play defense all I can do is to do my best and the result will be the result. My goal is to finish. (And to do the best that I can). Everything else that happens will be an outcome that flows from this goal. As I've gotten know the other CEOs as people I've grown to like and admire them. They all have dreams and have worked hard. They have sons and daughters and wives who will be cheering mightily for them to triumph. and will be disappointed if they don't. I can honestly say that I'll be very happy for those who grab Kona slots if they are not me--I'm sure they'll deserve it. I'll also have a lot of sympathy for those that don't. The real reward of tomorrow will be the potential to learn something about myself, to discover a strength, or other asset that I wasn't aware of before or indeed didn't have. The measures of success will all be within me.

Talk to you tomorrow night! Anders may hijack this blog during the race tomorrow with updates....check back if you have interest.

Sleep tight--I will!

No comments: