Thursday, January 31, 2008

January Totals

Well it's been a while since I last blogged--very busy with training and life--my apologies.  Here is the data on January as compared to last year:

2008 2007 Change

Swim 40550y 52900y -23%
Bike 859m 796m +8%
Run 166.3m 122.2m +31%
Other 9:57 13:50 -28%
Total 100:19 98:14 +2%


So, I hit 100 training hours in a month for the first time in my triathlon career.  Last January was my previous high.  The dip in swimming volume was unintentional and I'm focused on getting up into the 12-16k yds/week range in February.  That said, my swimming times for short intervals are pretty good.  I tire more easily than in the past so I have an endurance issue but on the whole, I'm comfortable with where my swim is at (for January).

The bike just turned out where it turned out.  A lot of junk miles.  In February, I'll change to emphasize a couple of 3-5 hour rides per week and a couple of higher intensity Computrainer rides.  March and April will be when I really hit the bike--it's just too darn dicey outside right now.

The run is a reflection of my commitment to more run frequency and distance.  I've been getting a 10-14 mile run every 5-6 days and getting out there 5-6 times per week which is a significant change from last year.  I actually had more miles running in December 2007 but I wasn't really swimming at all and just marginally biking.  In February, I'd like to maintain this 35-40 mile/week average but begin to add some intensity.

I've moved away from Yoga and gone to an integrated weights/stretching sequence 2-3 times/week.  I probably should do more but I'm rolling the dice a bit to focus more on SBR.

All-in-all a good base month.  By the end of February, I'd like to be able to look back at a month with close to January volumes but with more swimming and more intensity in the bike and run.

Onward and Upward!

rc

No comments: