Monday, December 24, 2007

We'll See....

Had a buddy who challenged me to do a triathlon back in 2001.  People thought it would be a great challenge for me.
A Zen Master said: "We'll see."
Raced that first triathlon and did very poorly.  People thought I'd get discouraged.
ZM: "We'll see."
Came back the next year on a mission.  Lost 25 pounds. People commented on what a great lifestyle change it was for me.
ZM: "We'll see"
Obsessive focus with triathlon seemed to take time away from my family.  Some concerned I had gone overboard.
ZM: "We'll see."
Son catches the bug soon after my first IM and begins to get heavily into triathlon.  Whole family gets involved and comes to and does triathlons.  People comment on what a fantastic thing it is that we do this together.
ZM: "We'll see."
Within a 22 hour period my son is hit by a car on a training ride and then I have a major bike crash when debris falls off a truck into my path.  He is scraped up but I have an extreme separation of my shoulder.  People are horrified and question our involvement in triathlon.
ZM: "We'll see."
After a couple of surgeries I have a great comeback year and in October win the Cadence Kona Challenge--people comment on how lucky I am.
ZM: "We'll see"
Despite being 100% ready to qualify I have a very off day at IMFL 2007 and once again fail to qualify for Kona.  People are disappointed in my failure.
ZM: "We'll see."
"What's the point?" I ask the Zen Master.
ZM: "We'll see."

No comments: