Saturday, December 1, 2007

Family, Friends and Foes

Triathlon, on the surface of it, seems like such a solitary sport.  And indeed, for the most part, it is.  The famous "loneliness of the long-distance runner" is not nearly as tough as those 7 hour over-distance rides or even the sensory deprivation of a 3-mile swim.  That said, my strongest feelings about triathlon revolve around the "three F's"--Family, Friends and Foes.

It's impossible in my mind to imagine the sport of triathlon without Family.  It takes a very kind and understanding crew to let me self-indulge in my training.  I can't tell you how many times I have been lifted during races by their cheers and well wishes.  And the success I've enjoyed seems somewhat empty without them to share it with.  And did I mention I have a son that does this with me?

I intend to tell you about some of my Friends in Posts down the road.  So many great folks from different walks of life that I have been privileged to meet at my races and training sessions.  I'm convinced that triathlon either attracts or creates, or both, some of the most positive, joyous, impressive people on the planet.  I am in awe of some of the amazing folks I've met along the road.

And then there are the Foes.  In my mind, these guys serve one of the most important roles in triathlon.  They are here to make sure that you show up and bring your best.  Without them, my whole Kona quest wouldn't even make sense.  There are many times in my training when I think about what I must do to beat my foes and this motivates me to work harder.  I'd still love to live a healthy life and probably SBR without the influence of my competition, but thank God they are here to make sure that I strive to do the best that I can as often as I can.  

So while triathlon is indeed a solitary endeavor, it would be a pointless one without Family, Friends and Foes....

No comments: