Friday, November 30, 2007

Once A Runner....

Just finished reading "Once A Runner" by John L. Parker, the cult classic distance runner's novel.  Wow--what a trip!  My son, Anders, turned me on to it and now I know what all the fuss is about.  No wonder it costs $200 on ebay.  It's impossible to read that book and not get caught up in some of the elemental attractions of running (and triathlon).  If you can get a copy of it, read it--you'll be glad you did!

The book reminds me that I was once a runner.  I once did 100+ mile weeks, 34 minute 10ks, and 2:40ish marathons.  Was a LONG time ago.  When I run today, I swear it feels exactly the same--sometimes the runs are a struggle and sometimes I'm flying like the young man I once was-or so it seems.  I'm reminded of the classic Greg Lemond quote where he commented on winning the TDF: "It doesn't feel any easier, you just get faster".  He was saying that it's all the same--you always hurt when you push.  So my old man modification to Greg's quote is: "It doesn't feel any easier, you just get slower".

That said, once a runner, always a runner.  In this transition phase between my IM in November and my earnest base building of 2008, I have returned to my running roots.  I'll train mostly as a runner in December and look forward to a couple of 50-60 mile weeks.  As I transition back to a triathlete's regimen in January, I hope this return to my running roots will lead to a return to some of my prior running glory.  If not, it's at least a nice change of pace.

No comments: